Wednesday, July 15, 2015

How to Set Up a System for Systematic Sequential Phonics They Use



Systematic Sequential Phonics They Use Resource Book
I have been using Carson Dellosa's Systematic Sequential Phonics They Use in my class for the last 2 years. I finally have a system that works for us and enables us to get through the whole lesson in a timely manner.

I was able to print off cards that correspond to every lesson in the book. I then laminated them all (see above picture for a small part of the laminated stack), and with the help of some amazing student helpers I was able to cut out the cards and letter tiles.
 


I made a trip to the dollar store to see what I could find to hold all the cards. I bought 3 of these buckets with lids and a box of envelopes. I did have to go back to get another bucket (for a total of 4) and another box of envelopes (you will need 2).


I also printed off labels for each lesson/envelope. I choose to put the label on the top right so I can see them quickly in the bucket. You can grab the labels here. I printed them on Avery 5160 Labels (30 per page).

This is what the finished boxes look like. I have them labelled with what is in each and the last box has extra envelopes for emergencies.  

 



I simply take the box that I need for whatever the lesson is that day and the book. I open the box and find the envelope for that lesson. I use the book to guide the lesson, and I use the word cards for the sort and transfer part of the lesson.

http://www.tapfun.com/making-words.htmlhttp://lescapadou.com/LEscapadou_-_Fun_and_Educational_applications_for_iPad_and_IPhone/Word_Wizard_-_Talking_Educational_App_for_iPhone_and_iPad.html


http://appytherapy.com/portfolio-items/lessons-1-5/


I have my students make the words in a variety of ways. On the iPads, we use Making Words by Tap Fun, Word Wizard by L'Escapadou, Abilipad by AppyTherapy (they have all the templates for every lesson in their library).
2-Sided Alphabet Letter Tiles
However, there are days when we don't use the iPad. We use all sorts of different letters. I have written letters on post-it notes, used an alphabet puzzle or letter tiles.

I have some students that are using the Making Words lessons from Start to Finish Literacy Starters and I use the same system. I do have a different colour bucket for those words.

5 comments:

  1. Where did you find the corresponding cards to go with each lesson?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The files were shared in a Facebook Group - Angelman, Literacy and Education (including Alphabet Therapy).

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/265187670266772/

    They were posted April 19, 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you happen to have the file still, I added the group but it is pending

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran across this blog post and am looking for a file for the word cards. I am a librarian and interventionist. Our school has the physical box of word cards for the prefixes set but I cannot locate the word cards for this set. Do you still have the file? I have asked to join the facebook group but worry it's been too long and I won't be able to access it. Please help if you can:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete